RECIPE OF THE WEEK FROM OUR CULINARY INSTRUCTOR KAY BENAROCH
Cold and damp days are calling for soup! This week’s recipe from culinary instructor Kay Benaroch features a hearty turkey chili that would be perfect served with cornbread as a meal
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 lb. ground turkey
- 2 onions – medium chop
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jar red salsa or ½ jar red and ½ jar green salsa
- ½ cup water or chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon ground chipotle chili powder (or chili powder or choice)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon smoked salt or kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (stewed, diced or fire roasted – chef’s choice)
- 3 chopped cherry peppers
- 2 cans pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can navy beans rinsed and drained
- 1 canned chipotle chili in adobo and 1 teaspoon of sauce – optional
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cider syrup, molasses or 2 packets of artificial sweetener
- Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add all spices (cumin through black pepper) along with another tablespoon of oil and toast until fragrant for 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey along with water or chicken stock and sauté for 10 minutes using spoon to break up clumps of ground turkey.
- Add salsa and chopped tomatoes.
- Then add chopped cherry peppers, canned chipotle pepper (if using), and all the beans.
- Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add vinegar and sweetener or choice. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your choice – i.e. more sweetener or salt or chili powder.
- Simmer for 45 to 50 minutes and then taste again for seasoning.
- Serve hot. Freezes well.