This week’s recipe comes from Highfield’s Culinary Instructor, Kendra Kohler, and it features delicious cantaloupe and cool cucumber in a tasty salad! The combination of sweet, ripe cantaloupe, cool, crisp cucumber and crunchy pumpkin seeds make this salad perfect for summer. I love the blend of coriander, cardamom and mint. They really bring this salad to a new level and we hope you will give it a try this week!
Cantaloupe and Cucumber Salad
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit May 2017 Tusk; Portland Oregon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 large cantaloupe
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1 large jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted, roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- Remove the rind and seeds of the cantaloupe. Cut flesh into 1 inch pieces.
- Slice the cucumber in half the long way, then slice each half on an angle, 1/2 inch thick.
- Chop top and stem off the jalapeño, remove membrane and seeds with a pairing knife then slice into thin rounds.
- Chop your mint.
- Whisk together your oil, vinegar, coriander, cardamom, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add your cantaloupe, cucumber, and jalapeño. Give a good toss to evenly coat them in your dressing.
- Let sit for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Upon serving add pumpkin seeds and mint to the bowl and toss gently.
Best to serve immediately after marinating/adding your mint and pumpkin seeds as this recipe, although lovely and delicious, does not keep well over a day.