RECIPE OF THE WEEK FROM HIGHFIELD HALL & GARDENS STAFF, TARA BURKE
This is a fantastic one-skillet dinner which was prepared by my daughter, Mary Claire on my recent trip to her home. I think she wanted to show me how to cook a healthful meal in one skillet, as my kids delight in calling me “Ten Pot Tara!” It is super easy, delicious and the ultimate comfort dish. As with any recipe, this is easily adapted, and although calls for ghee, I prefer to use butter. The measurements of ingredients can easily be increased or decreased depending on your taste.
Adapted from The Defined Dish
Creamy Chicken Toscana
- 3 slices thick bacon, minced
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 TBL Ghee or butter
- ½ cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 TBL fresh lemon
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups peeled/ diced potato (1 large)
- 2 cups fresh kale, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Wedges of lemon for serving
- Cook bacon until crispy and remove onto paper towel, leave fat on the bottom of pan
- Pound out the chicken to ¼ inch thickness, and season with salt and pepper
- Heat skillet to med-high heat. Dredge chicken in flour and place in skillet to cook until golden brown, then transfer to plate.
- Reduce the skillet heat to medium and add: butter/ghee, shallot, pepper flakes until shallot is tender (2 min) then add garlic until aromatic (1 min). Stir often to avoid burning.
- Add broth, lemon juice, mustard, Italian seasoning stirring to combine and scrape off bottom of pan.
- Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Add potato and cover to cook for approximately 15-18 min until tender.
- Add kale and coconut milk and still until kale is wilted, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add bacon and chicken, cover and cook until heated through, approximately 5 – 10 minutes depending on thickness of chicken.
- Serve with lemon wedges – yum!