This week Highfield’s culinary instructor Kay Benaroch shares a recipe for Sweet Potato Pancakes from Bal Arneson of the Cooking Channel’s “The Spice Goddess”. These sweet potato pancakes would be perfect for an appetizer or as an accompaniment to a meal!
Crispy Sweet Potato Cakes
From Bal Arneson, Cooking Channel “The Spice Goddess”
- 2 cups cooked sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (or use regular flour if you can’t find chickpea flour in Indian market)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (Indian spice blend – available in Indian markets)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Mango chutney (for serving)
- Cut up sweet potato into 1” chunks and boil or steam in microwave until tender.
- Mash the sweet potatoes in a bowl and then add the chickpea flour, garam masala, ginger, salt, cilantro, and yogurt.
- Mix well and then using wet hands form into small patties about 2-inches in diameter and put aside on baking sheet.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook the patties in batches so they have plenty of room to fry.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden and crispy and cooked through.
- Serve topped with mango chutney.
Cakes can be made ahead and reheated in 325-degree oven; they may also be made ahead and frozen – thaw before reheating