RECIPES OF THE WEEK FROM OUR CULINARY INSTRUCTOR MICHELLE ITZKOWITZ!
Growing up, I had an aversion to fish. Often times, family events had a full fish on the table, eyes and all! I do think this was when I became a vegetarian and for the most part, haven’t looked back. When the sushi craze started in the 80’s/90’s, I wasn’t really interested in trying it. All I could think of was the poor fish lying on the table. Much to my surprise, I found out that you can get vegetarian sushi! I now can order and even create delicious and beautiful vegetarian sushi and feel really good about what I am eating.
Read on for an easy sushi recipe made with marinated tofu and join me in the historic Highfield Hall & Gardens Kitchen on Thursday April 22 to make this and other recipes in person. Enjoy!
Easy Marinated Tofu Sushi
Adapted from erbology
- Marinated tofu
- 1/3 pack of tofu
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Tamari sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Sushi rice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (if you don’t have rice vinegar, substitute with 1 tbsp apple cider
- vinegar, 1 tsp sweetener of your choice and small pinch of salt)
- Sushi rolls
- 1 quarter red pepper
- 2 cucumbers
- 3 small radishes
- Three fresh salad leaves or fresh baby spinach
- 3 nori sheets
- First, cook the rice by using a 1 ½ : 1 ratio of water to rice. Cook in a rice cooker for 15 minutes or on the stove over medium heat with the lid on.
- Secondly, while the rice is cooking, marinate the sliced tofu by mixing it gently with
- Tamari sauce, maple syrup and sesame seed oil. Leave aside for about 10-15 minutes.
- Julienne all the veggies and put aside.
- Once the rice is ready, spread it on a tray to cool it down quickly.
- When it’s nearly cool, add the rice vinegar and mix very well. Put aside.
- To make a sushi roll, place a nori sheet on a bamboo sushi mat and gently spread
- cooked sushi rice. Use your fingers to evenly spread the rice. To prevent rice sticking to
- your hands, first wet your hands with cold water.
- Add a small amount (one row) of every veggie and 2-3 slices of marinated tofu. Roll the
- bamboo mat over the sushi roll, pressing firmly, to make a more compact roll.
- Finally, cut each roll into seven pieces. Serve with Tamari sauce and enjoy!