RECIPE OF THE WEEK FROM THE STAFF AT HIGHFIELD HALL & GARDENS, KAY BENAROCH
This recipe is SUPER simple and a perfect appetizer for a dinner party or other celebration! This 3-ingredient recipe can also be made and frozen for easy party prep. Give it a try– you won’t be disappointed!
Chorizo in Puff Pastry
- ½ lb. puff pastry dough
- ¼ lb. chorizo sausage cut in ¼” slices
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Roll out the puff pastry to thickness of 1/8”. Using a biscuit cutter, cut into circles ¼” larger than the chorizo slices. (I find a small biscuit cutter or bottom of small jar to work best.)
- Center a slice of chorizo on each round of pastry and use a pastry brush (or a wet finger) to paint the edges of the dough with the egg yolk. Cover each round with another circle of pastry. Seal the edges of the dough well by pressing down with the tines of a fork.
- Place the puffs on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake a 450 degrees F on the upper rack of the oven for 7 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed.
Puffs made be made in advance and then frozen – bake off from frozen status – DO NOT attempt to defrost or the pastry will get soggy.