RECIPE OF THE WEEK FROM THE STAFF AT HIGHFIELD HALL & GARDENS, ALISON MARTIN
Mac & cheese is always a good meal for cold winter nights, especially during the busy holiday season since it’s easy to prep ahead and then reheat! This mac & cheese recipe is best prepared using a large lasagna pan to contain all of the delicious pasta, cheese and béchamel sauce.
Grown Up Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb. gemelli, penne, or other short pasta, cooked in boiling salted water
- 8 ounces gruyrere, grated
- 8 ounces mild white cheddar, grated
- Olive oil, to coat lasagna pan
- Grated parmesan for the top
Bechamel sauce with truffle oil:
- 3T butter
- 3T flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1T black truffle oil
- Make a roux with the butter and flour
- Add the milk gradually.
- Add pepper flakes.
- When sauce has thickened, add and stir in truffle oil.
- Mix cooked pasta and cheese in the pan.
- Pour béchamel all over and combine.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for one hour.