Hermine’s Oatmeal Cookies (from Ruth Reichl)
- 2 1/2 cups instant oats
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Melt the butter and add to dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the egg and the vanilla.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a well-greased cookie sheet and flatten with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies begin to brown.
- Remove from oven, let sit a minute or two and then remove from the sheet.
- If they stick to the cookie sheet, put them back into the oven for a minute.