I came across this recipe on kitchn.com and decided to try it, as I had some pot stickers in my freezer. It was a real winner! Perfect amount for two people, and it calls for basic Asian ingredients which you can pick up at the grocery store if you don’t have any in your pantry.
POTSTICKER STIR FRY
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame seed oil
- For the stir-fry:
- 12 frozen pot stickers or 16 frozen gyoza (do not thaw, about 12 ounces total)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 8 ounces asparagus (about 1/2 bunch), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick ovals
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- Soy sauce and sesame oil for garnish
- Make the sauce:
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved; set aside.
- Make the stir-fry:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Place the potstickers or gyoza pleat-side up in a single layer; fry undisturbed until the bottoms are light golden-brown, about 3 minutes.
- Carefully add the water (be careful because the oil may spatter); cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and, using tongs, turn the dumplings onto their unpleated sides. Continue cooking uncovered until all the water has evaporated, the filling is cooked through, and the unpleated sides are golden-brown, about 3 minutes more; transfer to a large plate.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil into the pan, add the mushrooms and season with salt
- Stir-fry until the mushrooms are browned and softened, 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to the plate with the dumplings.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil into the pan, add the asparagus and carrot, and season with salt; stir-fry until the crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Return the reserved potstickers, mushrooms, and any juices back to the pan and toss gently to combine.
- Whisk the sauce again to recombine and dissolve the cornstarch, then add to the pan.
- Stir-fry until the sauce thickens and coats everything in the pan, about 30 seconds; transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the scallions.
- Drizzle a little more sesame oil and soy sauce over the top and serve
You can make it vegetarian by adding vegetable pot stickers, and you could also add a couple of cooked shrimp or pieces of another protein if you wish.