RECIPE OF THE WEEK FROM OUR CULINARY INSTRUCTOR KENDRA KOHLER
Knowing this recipe would be posted a day before Thanksgiving I wanted to put something out for those that may be scrambling last minute to put something quick but beautiful on the table. With just 2 main ingredients and an adorable presentation, these little bundles of joy draw attention as if you put a lot of time and thought into it!
Roasted Scallion Wrapped Asparagus Bundles
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 6 scallions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- After washing your asparagus, take one spear between your thumb and forefinger and bend until it breaks (it will automatically break where the woody, fibrous part ends). Do this again to another spear or two. Then use their length as a guide for where to cut the others.
- After washing your scallions, trim off just the root end.
- Thoroughly dry your asparagus and scallions with a clean kitchen towel.
- Place your asparagus and green onion on a rimmed baking sheet and gently rub them around in 1 tablespoon of oil to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and gently toss.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and check for doneness after 10 minutes. Depending on the size of your asparagus it may take longer. If scallion ends are beginning to brown, remove them from the oven.
- Once asparagus is roasted to your liking, make 6 piles of asparagus and then wrap a scallion under and around each pile and tie into a bundle.
- Transfer bundles to a serving platter.
If you want to assemble your asparagus bundles immediately out of the oven, putting a pair of rubber gloves on helps and keeps your hands clean.
If the ends of your scallions browned you can always trim them after they’ve been wrapped around the asparagus. They are tasty brown though!
Don’t toss your scallion ends! Place them upright in a shot glass with a little water, place on windowsill in sunlight and they’ll grow again!