Highfield’s Culinary Director, Gail Blakely, selected Shepherd’s Pie as this week’s comfort food recipe. Perfect with a glass of red wine or crusty bread, this recipe will not disappoint!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb (or substitute half with another ground meat)
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk (any fat content)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot, and meat. Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Drain the fat and add the broth, tomato paste, and herbs. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the peas.
- 4. Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- 5. Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- 6. Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt.
- 7. Spread them over the meat mixture, then crosshatch the top with a fork.
- 8. Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.