RECIPE OF THE WEEK FROM VOLUNTEER, SUE FULLER
Strawberry season is almost upon us and this Strawberry Bread (recipe submitted from volunteer extraordinaire, Susan Fuller) will delight your friends and family. The recipe comes from the Crème de Colorado Cookbook by the Junior League of Denver. The Highfield staff couldn’t get enough of it!
* Susan recommends reserving the juice and adding it to the cream cheese with the jam.
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 20 ounces fresh strawberries or unsweetened frozen strawberries, thawed and drained (reserve liquid)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/12 cups chopped pecans (optional)
- Beat oil and eggs until fluffy.
- Add strawberries and mix well.
- Combine flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar and add to egg mixture, stirring until well blended.
- Stir in chopped pecans (if using).
- Pour batter into 2 greased and lightly floured 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Blend together cream cheese, strawberry jam and some of the reserved strawberry liquid to spread on the bread.