Here is my adapted version:
- ½ cup butter plus 1 tbsp
- 1 ½ to 2 cups fresh, hulled strawberries
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup whole milk, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt 1 cup AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Put all the butter in an 8-inch square or round baking dish; place it in the oven and turn the heat to 350F.
- As the butter melts, put the berries in a small bowl and add half the sugar
- With a potato masher, crush the berries to release their juices and combine with the sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining sugar, milk and salt and whisk to combine
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and pour in the melted butter.
- Whisk again, then add the flour and baking powder and continue whisking just until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter (it’s not much) to the greased baking dish, and spread evenly into corners.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes before spooning into bowls.
Serve warm with ice cream—and spoons!