RECIPES OF THE WEEK FROM OUR CULINARY INSTRUCTOR KAY BENAROCH!
This week’s recipe features a Thai take on fish cakes or Tod Man Pla. Whether it’s an appetizer or a main dish, fish cakes are the perfect way to celebrate summer on Cape Cod! This Thai version of fish cakes features a little spice courtesy of Sriracha and is perfect with a sweet chili sauce or cucumber dipping sauce.
Thai Fish Cakes (Tod Man Pla)
- 1 lb. white fish fillet (e.g. cod, scrod, tilapia)
- 10 shrimps, shells removed, deveined and minced (optional, see notes)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 tbsp. corn starch
- 4 tsp. homemade red curry paste or 2T bottled chili garlic sauce (Sriracha)
- 1 T Salt or 2T fish sauce
- 1/4 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup spring onion, finely chopped
- ¾ lb. green beans (about 2 cups) coarsely chopped – if using frozen thaw slightly under warm water
- Cooking oil for shallow frying
- Cocktail sauce, Sweet chili sauce, or Cucumber Dipping Sauce to serve
- Cucumber dipping sauce
- ¼ white sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ t salt
- 1 t ground chili paste or 1 t red pepper flakes
- 1 medium cucumber – peeled, seeded and sliced into thin slices
- Coriander sprigs – coarsely chopped
- 2 T ground dry roasted peanuts
- Cut the fish fillet into pieces, using a chopping knife and chop into a mince. Repeat the same for the shrimps.
- A. Food processor: Put the seafood into the bowl of a food processor or in a large mixing bowl. If using a food processor add all ingredients except for oil and dipping sauce and mix thoroughly until mixture forms a thick paste and beans are chopped.
- B. if using a hand mixer: Place the minced fish and shrimps into a large bowl. Add in the egg, 1 tbsp. corn starch, salt, sugar, red curry paste, coriander, spring onion and green beans to the bowl. Mix well with a wooden spoon or mixer set a lowest speed for several minutes until aerated and thickened.
- Remove mixture to a mixing bowl and form into patties using slightly wet hands by scooping about 3T fish paste into a ball and gently press with fingers to make it a flat-round shaped patty. Set aside onto a baking sheet.
- When ready to fry, heat some cooking oil in a large flat frying pan over medium high heat. Fry on both sides (about 3 minutes/side) until they turn golden brown. Drain on paper towels. You may need to cook them in 2-3 batches.
- Serve while warm or at room temperature with bottled sweet chili sauce or Cucumber Dipping Sauce
- Cucumber dipping sauce
- In small pot over low heat combine water, sugar, salt, vinegar and chili paste and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Add remaining ingredients and put aside to use as dipping sauce for fish cakes.
Cooks note: shrimp are optional