RECIPE OF THE WEEK FROM HIGHFIELD HALL & GARDENS STAFF, MICHELLE ITZKOWITZ
A heart-healthy version of a classic biscuit that can be served any time of day. Try them for breakfast or alongside a big bowl of soup.
Sweet Potato Sage & Olive Oil Biscuits
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sweet potato puree
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle on biscuits
- 20 fresh sage leaves, chopped finely
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. In a large glass bowl, measure out, then whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and finely chopped sage leaves together until all ingredients are evenly distributed. In another smaller bowl, combine the sweet potato puree with the olive oil. Using a fork, mix until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir with a rubber spatula, using circular motions until the dough begins to come together.
- Lightly sprinkle a countertop or another flat surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto it. Using gentle hands, knead the dough until the excess flour has been incorporated.
- Once the dough is together, pat it out into a 1⁄2” thick round. Using a 1-2” biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits, starting at the outside edge and cutting close together. If necessary, use the scraps from the first round to pull together another to cut more biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle more olive oil on top of the biscuits, then transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool & enjoy.