RECIPE OF THE WEEK FROM HIGHFIELD HALL & GARDENS STAFF, MICHELLE ITZKOWITZ
These healthy blueberry zucchini muffins are bursting with warm freshly baked blueberries and a sweet crumb topping, you’d never guess they contain a vegetable! Try them fresh out of the oven with melted butter. YUM!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Zucchini Muffins
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup blueberries (go out and pick them!)
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Shred the zucchini by hand or using a shredding attachment for your food processor. Then, make sure to squeeze the zucchini strands dry of as much excess liquid as possible. Use kitchen towels or 3 layers of paper towels.
- Combine all dry ingredients (flour, flax, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon) in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add all wet ingredients to another medium size bowl (coconut oil, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla extract) and whisk until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just moistened. Fold in shredded zucchini and blueberries.
- Divide batter among 12-14 greased or lined muffin cups.
- In a small bowl mix together crumb topping ingredients. Add a sprinkle on top of each muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown and inserted toothpick comes out clean.